Creativity and Expression

Learning to Love Poetry 

I'm not a very creative person though I have often tried to be. I can't create the beautiful watercolours of my sister or knit for England like my Auntie, but that doesn't stop me from trying to improve and stir creativity into motion.

My drawings are little better than stick men but make for great jokes and my eye for colour is practically non existant So in my desire to have some from of creative hobby I turned towards something that I knew I could do - writing. In this case writing poetry.

I'm no pro but it's safe to say that my poems are much better than my drawings! I've found it to be helpful in expressing my emotions about tough topics, such as the refugee crisis and my own mental wellbeing. It has become a useful outlet and something for me to do as I'm still coming to terms with the structure of post exam life.

After doing English exams when I was younger I thought with joy that I would never have to look a poem again, what horror would have filled me if I knew that in a few years I would be writing my own!
 It was actually listening to spoken word poetry that got me wanting to write my own. I wanted to move people and express things in a way that normal writing does not allow. I saw another powerful tool that hits hard and gets people thinking honestly and deeply about the words I have to say.

So if there's some form of expressive art that interests you, why not just give it a go?! For me it was poetry but calligraphy or pyrography are also things I have wanted to try. I've even wanted to give blacksmithing a go, maybe one day!? Take a chance and do something you could love. Something you can use to speak in a way you have never comunicated before.

Tasha xx

Comments