Little Haven; But Big Sign

Small things can have big impacts. 

When walking last year we passed a little village of the name Little Haven. The village itself was a beautiful Pembrokeshire village but what really stood out was the road sign (vandalism) as we entered, 'But Big Sign' had been added alongside the normal 'Little Haven' directions. It was more than just the play on words that appealed to me as the little laugh I got out of a often overlooked piece of signage provided great amusement to the whole group. 

Feeling small is somthing that can hamper our positive goals and efforts in every area of our lives. The moment we tell ourselves that we are too small to make a difference is the moment we stop trying. Walking I passed many signs of a similar nature but I don't remember them, they all blur into one. When we see ourselves as small and powerless we do just blur into the background.  But, when we stand up and try to do something positive and good, even if it's just giving a little smile, we become memorable and powerful.  

Not enough attention is paid to the small things and I'm not just saying that because of my own short height.  If I could choose to be remembered for anything it would be kindness and making a positive difference to the people around me, but I can't do any of that if I believe that what I say or do will just be ignored. Not everything I do will have impact, but if I don't do anything none of it will. So make an effort in the small things and hopefully it will form a ripple effect of kindness to make one small action turn into a much larger movement of care. 

So like that little sign in Wales not everyone will see it, but to me it made me think and smile. Be the person who does the small things no matter how powerless you feel or how pointless people tell you it is. Say no to straws, put your rubbish in the bin and just make a small effort. 

Tasha xx

Comments

  1. The whole of the universe is built from small things. Atoms. And they consist of further even smaller things.
    So, an excellent point, small things form the essential foundations of any great plan or action.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment