The True Cost - A Reflection

We all wear clothes but:
Who Made My Clothes? 

I want a world where everyone has rights that are observed, a world where people are treated with dignity, respect and paid a fair wage. A world which is not greedy nor selfish nor corrupt.

Sadly we do not live in that world.

Everywhere we go we are told to want more for less. To actively seek out what is best for us without giving a thought to the real cost of human life, skill and effort as well as the planety resources which have gone into the item's manufacture. But this needs to change. We need to wake up to the reality of our neighbours suffering at our expense.

The role the media has in shaping our opinions has always intrigued me. But after watching the documentary The True Cost I believe that the long lasting imagery and eye opening effect that witnessing real issues and real life stories gives is of vital importance.  How can we expect to change our attitudes and speak out against injustice if we do not educate ourselves? We need to know when our money funds abuse and corruption as this happens all too often especially in the clothing industry.

I implore you to watch the documentary yourself, it is currently on Netflix and can be bought for viewing on The True Cost website. We can not live in ignorance, nor can we allow these atrocities of human right abuse in industry to continue.

I am for equality. I am for peace. I am for change. Changing hearts, changing attitudes and change in the broken system that allows so many to be neglected for the benefits of the likes of me. I deserve a hope and a future, but so do all of the thousands of garment workers and farmers trapped in low paid, unsafe jobs.

This is an important message and a global issue, so why not get a group of friends together,  have a viewing party, then make a note of how you can act and change, holding each other accountable if a loving and empowering way.

Tasha xx



Comments