Happiness Through Hobbies

Find something you love and do it! 

The word 'hobby' feels very old fashioned, but the idea of having a skill or talent that you can improve at, pour emotion into and share is timeless. I guess a more accurate but slightly pretentious way to say it would be- what is your passion?

Hobbies and passions are definitely not a one size fits all. From team sport to music, history to SUP Pilates. Everyone is an individual with a unique set of skills and therefore each have different requirements from a pastime. Maybe its somthing you haven't yet mastered or maybe you love it so much you could do it in your sleep. Either way what is it that makes you love your passion so much and do you prioritise your own enjoyment of it enough?

Maybe your reading this and you have no idea what you love to do or where to even start looking. January is typically a month where people try to form new habits and try new things so why not use the start of this year as a excuse to look further into somthing you've always been interested in. Hobbies don't have to be physical and you definitely don't have to be good from the start. For me part of the joy is seeing your progression as you put in the effort and dedication.

Five years ago I started to teach myself to play the bass guitar and I'm only now starting to believe that I am a reasonable player, but I still love it. I love the music I play,  the sound of it and the feel of it (especially when I'm playing well).
I also love seeing my body strengthen from working out. Both these very different hobbies are enriching and calming.

We all need all to process our days and lives and I find the best way to turn negative emotions into more positive outlets is through doing what you love and what you can be proud of. I remember my first dodgy notes on bass and when I could hardly make it through a workout and use them to spur me on, encourage and teach me, no matter what situation I'm facing.

Tasha xx


Comments