Shopping Ethically

Slow fashions and voting with your wallet.

I'm at the exciting stage where I'm running out of my old unethical products, allowing me to start investing in ethical alternatives. For me, this has been a long time coming as I have been on a journey from simply feeling sad and powerless about the fashion/beauty industries for their social and environmental issues to deciding about a year ago that I can and will do something about these issues by changing my lifestyle, attitudes and where I shop.

A key part of this process was educating myself on the issues to both people and planet as well as being certain of the reasons why I needed and want to make changes. I recently watched the latest guide to ethical shopping by Sarah Therese and agreed with much of what she said in her intro about why she buys ethically and think it is definitely worth a watch. I also have done lots of online research, watched documentaries and bought, but am yet to read, Slave to Fashion by Safia Minney, as I believe it is vitally important to know the true cost of our everyday items. I want to be wearing clothes and using products that have respected, benefitted and given dignity to everyone along the production chain, not just ones where the only benefits are to me and the large companies which are reaping the profit from the exploitation of worker and resource.

This is something that I have deeply cared about for a long time but still found my head turned by every freebie and sale about. I fueled my consumeristic lifestyle with the beliefs that the world owed me, that I deserved the newest fads and that sales were made for me as a consumer, not for the companies and their profit. However, all I got from this mindset was a wardrobe brimming with unworn clothes and a bitter taste from the knowledge of my contribution to one of the biggest injustices in our time. This is why I knew I needed to make significant changes, I am slowly but surely transitioning to a more ethical lifestyle that I hope will encourage others to rethink how they live, shop and think.

For me, this has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. When I shop, I feel good about it and fully confident of the positive, ethical origins. Moreover, going perfectly hand in hand with a more minimalistic lifestyle, what I have I love and treasure, so my space is less cluttered and my head is clearer. It may be clichè but I urge you to give it a go and just see if decluttering your things helps declutter your life so that you can value what you own more and try to live in a kinder way. 


Tasha xx

Comments