Travelling light

Journey big, take little, gain memories 

I'm currently on a backpacking holiday in Wales. Not only is the coastline rugged and beautiful but it's also got me thinking about what I have brought with me and why.

When backpacking there is only a limited amount of space and weight that you can carry, so, you must be careful when packing to make sure you have everything that you need but also to not overdo it and struggle when walking. You are physically weighed down by your belongings.

So what did I deem important enough to carry miles along the coast?

1) Clothes, obvious but very necessary. As I have mentioned before I'm trying to be more ethical when sourcing my clothes, however, I still have a long way to go in integrating a fully ethical wardrobe and so I'm making the most of what I have. Moreover finding ethical sports wear, though not impossible, is fairly hard and expensive.

2) Books, although bulky and heavy, I am carrying two books to read in the evening. These are my entertainment, my little luxuries to read before I go to bed. I have a signed copy of Destiny's Ruin and a book on the psychological study The Marshmellow Test. Both of which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

3) Technology, sadly I can't claim this to be an eye-opening technology detox. It was vital for me to bring technology as I still need to work in the evenings on my tablet,  doing research and coursework. In addition to this, my phone is also my main camera and so although my technology definitely weighs me down more than I'd like, it is incredibly useful and much needed.

4)Wash kit, as with my clothes my wash kit is struggling on the ethics side. In many places, it's so hard to avoid small single-use soaps and shampoos. However, I have tried to avoid this by bringing my own slightly bigger ones from home, I have also only brought the necessities, makeup and skincare other than my basic moisturiser have been left at home making my morning routine shorter and easier.

What would you leave behind if you could only take the necessities? Although I packed light my backpack was still full of little luxuries. For many around the world, they simply don't have the opportunity to choose what to take or leave. This is especially true for many refugees and it is important to remember their plight when thinking about the value we place on our own possessions. It is very humbling to think about but necessary to humble us so that we can be grateful for our own little luxuries.


Tasha xx





Comments

  1. You can't beat a good walk. The longer the better. Let's rediscover our nomadic roots

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment