The World and I


We all need to do our bit. 


Last week I wrote about the IPCC's latest report on climate change and how we all needed to positively act and change our attitudes to ones which care about people and environment. I thought it was only fair to share what small but collectively large changes I've been making to my life for both the planet and to the way I think.

Since last year I have made significant changes to my attitude in an attempt to form myself into a more loving, more caring and more selfless person. I wanted my goals to be ones that uplifted people and planet alike instead of simply striving after material gains. I'm nowhere near perfect but setting out these goals brought me to a completely different way of thinking and valuing. I shop  much less and look more to what I have and the beauty in the natural world rather than the world of online retail. That's not to say I don't internet shop,  one of my favourite things to do is research ethical brands which share my values and see what new and exciting things are being created for when I do need to buy something.

Finding value in myself and not in my material objects has allowed me to look at the world a different way.  I care more about the people involved in every process of manufacture as  my equal. I tend to research into whether the workers are working in a place that gives them full dignity, respect and fairness as well as good environmental practices . As a result, I'm making a very active effort to not buy into fast fashion or from brands that do not treat their workers fairly. Yes this is the more expensive option but it is important to value humans as that, human. Moreover, with my newly acquired world first mindset I'm finding that I want less and what I do want I'm fortunate enough to have pretty readily available, like the beautiful countryside walks that are practically on my doorstep.

A walk on the Welsh Coast 
In addition to this,  this past year has been a year of me growing in confidence and stepping out in faith.  Not only am I being more outspoken about my concern and love of the planet I am also being bolder in my faith as earlier this year I was baptised. It is the thing I am most proud of so far and sharing my testimony was one of the most nerve-wracking things I have ever done. However, I am confident that if this blog or my testimony touched even one person and stirred their hearts to do something positive then I am doing the right thing.

Finally, my family and I are all working hard to reduce the amount of plastic that we use and therefore the amount of waste we produce.  Again we are no where near perfect or zero waste but we're heading in the right direction. Having just finished reading the #2minutesolution book No.More.plastic. by Martin Dorey I am inspired to go further and do more to reduce the amount of plastic waste I produce.  We already use reusable coffee cups and I have my own little metal cutlery set to take out with me but in the kitchen we still struggle to buy without plastic packaging and there is always room to do more.


Tasha xx

Comments

  1. We all need to at least try to buy sensibly and reduce waste.
    Drowning in plastic was a real call for change as was Stacy's fast fashion program. People are waking up and seeing the need to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely, both those documentaries were incredibly eye-opening and insightful. We definitely need to wake up to the damaging reality of our actions.
      Tasha xx

      Delete

Post a Comment